JEEP again

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Sep 23 19:40:04 UTC 2010

That would make sense if the application of "jeep" to the command car was
based on a commercial brand. "Jeep" was not one's brand-name in 1941. It was
originally folk terminology, and the 1/2-ton car was indeed mfrd. by
Dodge:  http://www.od43.com/Dodge_WC-6.html  There were a number of models.

Both the 1/4- and 1/2-ton vehicles were introduced at roughly the same time
and bore a vague superficial resemblance. It isn't surprising that the name
would be applied to either.  The 1/2-ton car was never, so far as I know,
called a "jeep" by its manufacturer. Nor was the 3/4-ton version of 1942,
which also looked like a giant Willys "jeep":
http://www.flickr.com/photos/appleman64/4458200649/ (Note the machine's
heroic pose.)

The only sense I can make out of the existence of both "peep" and "jeep" is
that people who used both names first associated "jeep" with the larger,
less publicized vehicle.

JL