tousled

Jesse Sheidlower jester at PANIX.COM
Fri Sep 24 00:24:38 UTC 2010

In my idiolect, "tousled" hair is hair that could, or is
usually, in some sort of a "neat" style, but has been
disrupted and is now somewhat messy. It has to be long enough
to be moved out of a "neat" position, and thus a crewcut
cannot be tousled, but it doesn't have to be long. A short
unkempt-looking style could be considered tousled.

To me it definitely implies a variance from a norm, also.
Einstein's hair was always unkempt (at least in popular
portrayals), and thus wouldn't be considered tousled. If
his hair was normally carefully combed, but every time a
photographer came around he messed it up, that would
be different.

Jesse Sheidlower
OED