Green's Dictionary of Slang

Fri Sep 24 10:04:19 UTC 2010

Robin Hamilton wrote:

> Be nice if it were available in a searchable form, though.  The Oxford
> Historical Thesaurus is virtually unusable as it stands in all its two
> volume hardcopy glory.

Jonathon Green has asked me to post a further comment.

A searchable form of GDoS will be available, since OUP US, which is
distributing the book in North America, plans to make it available as an e-
book via the Oxford Reference Bookshelf. This will become available
sometime in October, depending - he guesses - on when the delayed hardback
appears (I gather that the 5 October date he quoted me isn't definite: it
may be a little later in the month).

Whether this will be available to purchasers outside the US isn't yet
known, nor whether online e-booksellers like Amazon will will be able to
sell a version for devices like the Kindle. It's not likely to be cheap,
though, with pricing - Jonathon believes - likely to be closely similar to
the hardback price.

And the Oxford Historical Thesaurus is to be integrated with the online
Oxford English Dictionary when the site is relaunched in December. I did a
little usability testing on the new version and the indications are that
it will be excellent.

--
Michael Quinion
Editor, World Wide Words