How NOT to write a teach-yourself grammar

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Sep 25 00:13:14 UTC 2010

There’s good reason why the IPA (once thought to be a training aid for reading learners) is not used for phonetics in USA.  It’s not English friendly, or keyboard friendly.  Reading teachers do not use it, nor newspapers or government publications (that I know of).  Yet “phonemic awareness” is a key correlate to reading success.  England has started using “synthetic phonics) for initial reading instruction that works a lot like phonetics.  The creation of a standard English-friendly phonetic notation would do well here, but there was none until I created truespel.

Truespel was created in 1986, the same year SAMPA was created.  But SAMPA continues English and keyboard unfriendly phonetics.  Instead, truespel phonetics is designed to be maximally English and keyboard friendly.  Truespel books One and Four test the reasonableness of the scheme in regard to tradspel (traditional spelling) of phonemes compared to phoneme frequency.  It’s a reasonable solution, also trying to minimize tradspel phoneme spelling conflicts.

So with a reasonable phoneme set I spent a couple years respelling English phonetically based on the pronunciation in talking dictionaries.  Talking dictionaries were the key.  My main one was the “American Heritage Talking Dictionary”.  I’ve also used m-w.com and thefreedictionary.com wonderfully free on the internet.  Of interest were differences between their pronunciation and their notation.  In those cases I went by the spoken word.  This enabled all schwas to be spelled out.  It resulted in a more accurate portrayal or USA English than any guide using schwas, IMHO.  See the free converter at truespel.com

Thus, English can easily be portrayed phonetically if phonetics are designed for the task.  Truespel book 3, now available as an ebook, gives the VOA simplified (1,500 broadcast words) dictionary a truespel pronunciation guide (where no guide was provided by the original).  It is the most accurate depiction available for USA accent, IMHO.  It spells out schwas and also shows glottal stops for “t” and “t” swaps to “d”, which are common but usually not expressed in dictionaries.

see truespel.com phonetic spelling