You never know.

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Sep 27 14:14:55 UTC 2010

Five guys raised the Suribachi flag.

There is no truth to the repeated claim that the picture was "staged." A
film of the event from a slightly different angle clearly shows them
nonchalantly sticking the pole in the ground and raising it.  Joe Rosenthal
was one of the luckiest lensmen in photographic history.

The rumor may have started because the idea behind the flag raising was to
replace a smaller flag with one that could be seen from the beach.
Though many people seem to think otherwise, the picture was not raised under
fire or as a declaration of victory.

JL