"to bilk" with object not a person

Tue Sep 28 21:42:43 UTC 2010

> Fielding has personified the "lodgings".   Is this new or interesting
> enough to record?

Charles Dickens and the Canadian painter Cornelius Krieghoff use the
phrase "bilking the toll".

Samuel Richardson uses "bilk my lodgings" in Clarissa (1748). Of
course Fielding was familiar with the writings of Richardson because
he parodied Pamela with Shamela.Tom Jones was published in 1749.

Garson