Q: "dame" in U.S. slang --1862, antedating 1902?

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon Apr 4 21:13:08 UTC 2011

Is the following an antedating of OED2's "dame" n., sense 2.c,. "A
girl; a woman. Chiefly U.S. slang.", earliest quotation 1902?

I trust it's not another possibility, 2.a, "humorously applied to an
aged housewife", which -- lumped in with "The 'lady' of the house,
the mistress of a household, a housewife", is dated from c1330.
-----
1862 -- Barre [Massachusetts] Gazette; Date: 05-09-1862; Volume: 28;
Issue: 42; Page: [1]; Col. 3.

Let me kiss him for his mother---A secesh anecdote.---As the last of
the rebel prisoners were entering the jail on Tuesday, a big mulatto
fellow from a neighboring slaughter house, who was making his way
through the crowd of spectators, was somewhat jostled in the
undertaking. A lady present, with more age than wisdom ... rushed
toward him with open arms ...
The secesh dame struck a bee line toward the Washington monument amid
the cry of bystanders ...
Baltimore Clipper.
-----
Joel