"fellow" = "A black man"; also "secesh' noun & adj. 1862; and "nub"

James A. Landau <JJJRLandau@netscape.com> JJJRLandau at NETSCAPE.COM
Tue Apr 5 13:19:45 UTC 2011

a random thought:  In Australia "blackfellow" (I only remember seeing it written as one word) is a term (warning: it may be a derogatory term) for "Aborigine".  Possible connection with the US usage?

Also, in some of the English pidgins of the Southwest Pacific, "fella" is a grammatical particle (or something like that), used, I think, to distinguish a noun referring to a person from other nouns.

    - Jim Landau

In a grammar lesson in eighth grade Mrs. O’Neill said, “Paul, give me a sentence with a direct object.”
Paul replied. “Everyone thinks you are the best teacher in the school.”
“Thank you, Paul,” responded Mrs. O’Neill, “but what is the object?”
“To get the best mark possible,” said Paul