"fellow" = "A black man"

Wed Apr 6 18:43:38 UTC 2011

My impression is that "fellow" had negative implications in the 16th/17th C; implied low social status.  This impression is probably derived from a footnote to a Shakespearean or other Elizabethan play.
I also don't see that a description of a runaway slave as "a black fellow" indicates that "fellow" was reserved for blacks.  The default condition for human beings in the 17th C was white -- as it is now, come to think of it -- and so I wouldn't expect to find a notice for a runaway apprentice or indentured servant to specify "white fellow".

I see from my notes, notices for:
 an Indian Man, about Eighteen Years old, and speaks good English: Had on when he went away, a grey Cloth Jacket, an old Pair of Trowsers, and an Iron Ring about his Neck, and one about his Leg, with a Chain from one to the other;
A Negro Man, lately imported from Africa, his Hair or Wool is curled in Locks, in a very remarkable Manner;
a Negro Man, Scipio, "Who had his Hands pinioned behind him", runs away; described: "his Buttocks pretty well marked with the Lash, speaks pretty good English, though somewhat thick";
A Negro Man named Sam, well Limn’d, round faced, about 30 years of age, but looks younger; French born, but speaks pretty good English; is a good Cook, and was lately bought of Capt. James Delancey;
a Negro Man named JACOB, belonging to Henry Brasier, and formerly known in this City, by the Name of the FU-FU Negro, or MONEY-DIGGER.  He is between 40 and 50 Years of Age. . . .  He speaks both English and Dutch, and was born and brought up in the Jersies;
but:
Jerry, "a negro fellow", "can talk good English, is a sly cunning fellow, and can play well on the violin";
a very valuable Negro Fellow, getting too much Liquor, got into a Canoe in the Harbour, and after paddling about a little, tumbled over, and was drowned;
a very likely lusty Fellow, and cannot speak a Word of English or Dutch, or any other Language but that of his own Country
another Fellow who also address’d the Wench, not being received well, and jealous of Caesar, and having several Negro Friends, it is thought poor Caesar was Way-laid, and Murdered in that manner;
two negro fellows who understand the leather dressing business [for sale]

As for "fellow" by itself, applied to white rascals:
the word is applied to Harry Burch  "a sad Fellow" and "a fellow of Little Stature, tho' of great Roguery, and of a Young Aspect, But in a fair way never to be Old" in the Boston News-Letter of 1705;
and several times in different newspapers to "the noted Vagrant Tom Bell", in the 1740s;
also to
"a Gang of Fellows of no good Aspect";
James Rice, hanged for robbery & murder, "a thick well-set, well-limb'd Fellow, . . . with a Lock behind, which curls handsomely under his Cap" ;
"a Parcel of Fellows" involved in a mugging;
a fellow for Stealing was branded in the only Hand he had;
a stout resolute Fellow with but one Hand, and ‘tis thought to be the same Fellow that was Branded in New-York about 4 Weeks ago;
[and to other rogues].

 I have no instances of "fellow" applied to a respectable person.  When John Pell, nephew of Mr. Pell, Esq., of Pelham Manor, was arrested for robbing his uncle, he wasn't labelled "fellow", but his accomplice, "a Negro fellow", was.

Notices of runaways were often harmful to one's self esteem: [Mary Brown, runaway indentured servant]  She is a so so-sort of a looking Woman, inclinable to Clumsiness, much Pockpitted, which gives her a hard Favour and a frosty Look, wants several of her Teeth, yet speaks good English and Dutch, about 26 or 28 Years old, perhaps 30.

Harry Burch came to Bostpn from Philadelphia and told the editor of the the Boston News-Letter a very sad story, which the editor fell for; he was beside himself when he wised up.  very entertaining.

These are all from the 1760s or before.   Exact references upon request.

GAT

George A. Thompson
Author of A Documentary History of "The African Theatre", Northwestern Univ. Pr., 1998, but nothing much lately.  Working on a new edition, though.