Q: "dame" in U.S. slang --1862, antedating 1902?

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Apr 6 22:20:05 UTC 2011

If I read the evidence correctly, "dames" before the 1890s or so tended
strongly to be more formidable than attractive. The point of Rodgers and
Hammerstein's song title "There is Nothing Like a Dame" (1949) might not
have been obvious to a speaker in 1862.  (Ditto for the hypothetical *"There
is Nothing like a Babe.")

JL