"Close, but no cigar."

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Apr 7 12:30:54 UTC 2011

Wilson, Green Beret Maj. Jim Morris began his 1978 memoir _War Story_
(Boulder, CO: Sycamore Books) with the epigraph (in bold face):

"The difference between a fairy tale and a war story is that a fairy tale
starts out 'Once upon a time' and a war story starts out 'This is no
shit....'"

Morris's book was reprinted as a Dell paperback in 1985.  Fred might
consider the q. for YBQ: many G hits.

I can't locate the precise phrase that eluded you either. Maybe you invented
it!Congratulations! (It plays on the platitude "All wars are the same.")
Fred?

I'll take Morris's saying (and yours) one step further: what the naive may
think impossible may actually be true; but much else will be exaggeration,
error, and other forms of BS.

Cf. the Iliad.

JL