Close, but no cigar.

taylor-blake@nc.rr.com taylor-blake at NC.RR.COM
Thu Apr 7 12:53:22 UTC 2011

Wilson Gray wrote:

-------------------------

The closest that I've been to come to the above is the below:

      "Know the difference between a fairy tale and a war story?" one asks.
"A fairy tale begins, 'Once upon a time.' A war story begins, 'This is
no shit.' "
     This is no shit.

Wilson's message reminds me of something folklorist Jan Brunvand has said
about those miraculous military survival stories that seem too good to be
true.  These anecdotes (whether true or false) often hinge on the assertion
that what's about to be told happened to "a guy over in" [X Company or in Y
location].  While "civilian" legends can be characterized by the general
assurance that what is about to be told happened to or involved a "friend
of a friend" (hence, FOAF and "foaftale"), military legends frequently rely
on "a guy over in" (AGOI) phrasing.

-- Bonnie