"The N-Word of the Narcissus." By Joseph Conrad

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Apr 7 23:29:47 UTC 2011

I mean the kind of souls recognized by soul experts like holy men and stuff.

A fellow graduate student once explained to me - on that basis - that
animals appear to be just "little machines" without souls.  Under relentless
cross-examination, he confessed that logically he couldn't rule out the
possibility that animals might have souls after all - animal-type souls -
but that the Bible certainly said nothing about the matter.

He observed, though, that  "the Bible was written for us, not for them," so
its failure to mention animal souls - if any - was perfectly
understandable.  He inclined to the belief that *if* animals have souls,
they wouldn't need a Bible anyway because animals are not guilty of Original
Sin. They have nothing to be saved from.

My personal belief, moreover, is that it would be silly to write a Bible for
animals, because they can't read.  But wait! Somebody's already done it!
http://www.forewordreviews.com/reviews/the-animals-bible/

Holy cow!

JL