"Schrodinger's Cat" not in OED

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat Apr 9 19:55:09 UTC 2011

On Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 11:11 AM, Shapiro, Fred <fred.shapiro at yale.edu> wrote:
> Sender: Â  Â  Â  American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster: Â  Â  Â  "Shapiro, Fred" <fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU>
> Subject: Â  Â  Â "Schrodinger's Cat" not in OED
>
> I don't see _Schrodinger's cat_ in OED nor in Merriam-Webster. Â Jesse, is there a draft entry for this by OED?
>
> Fred Shapiro

I didn't find _vulch_ in the OED.

As defined in the UD:

"vulch. Verb: To vulch - vulching, vulched: The act, or process, of
acting like a vulture."

However, IME, this word was invented dekkids ago by Charles Schulz, to
describe a particular manner - that defined above - in which Snoopy
liked to sit on the roof-ridge of his doghouse.

Cat-people are wont to use _vulching_ to describe the feline habit of
sitting, vulture-like, on the edge of some household promontory, as
they deign (I don't know whether _deign_ can be used outside of a
negative context, but WTF?)  to observe the mortals beneath.

This use is also noted in the UD.

--
-Wilson
-----