"pepper game"; "play[ed] pepper"

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Apr 12 00:01:49 UTC 2011

Yes, I came across several hits the clearly indicated someone throwing
hot pepper in a victim's face for some nefarious purpose--sort of an
early precursor of pepper-spray/mace. "Game" here is just MO. I very
much doubt there is any relation between this "pepper game" and the
baseball drill version. But this is really for baseball historians to
dig up.

My guess, on the other hand, is based on a different use of
"pepper"--liveliness, aggressiveness (in the game), enthusiasm, "spunk".
I'll explain in the next post.

     VS-)