Aeschylus, G.B. Shaw at it again

Shapiro, Fred fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Wed Apr 13 11:56:06 UTC 2011

The "pig" quote is in the Yale Book of Quotations, under Robert A. Heinlein.

Fred Shapiro

From: American Dialect Society [ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Jonathan Lighter [wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM]
Sent: Tuesday, April 12, 2011 9:32 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Aeschylus, G.B. Shaw at it again

According to Simon van Booy, ed, _Why Do We Fight?_ (N.Y.: Harper Perennial,
2010), the Greek dramatist Aeschylus wrote the immortal words, "In war,
truth is the first casualty."

The same work improbably attributes the following to George Bernard Shaw (as
do thousands of websites): "I learned long ago, never wrestle with a pig;
you get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

The latter ought to be in YBQ, attributed perhaps to "Anonymous," but it
isn't.

JL