ravish = 'to ravage'

Wed Apr 13 17:55:21 UTC 2011

Here is an example from the 1890s of cholera ravishing a city, and a
modern instance of tornadoes ravishing a city.

Journal of the New England Water Works Association: Volume 9 - Page 109
New England Water Works Association - 1895 - Free Google eBook - Read
Hamburg completed last year the filters which had been so long
contemplated, and the construction of which was hastened by the awful
epidemic of cholera which ravished the city in 1892.

Wichita Falls - Page 8
Kenneth E. Hendrickson, Jr. - 2009 - 128 pages - Preview
The Wichita River and the creeks that meander throughout the city have
periodically produced devastating floods, and tornadoes have struck
all too often. In the last five decades, tornadoes have ravished the
city on three occasions: ...

Here are some examples of "ravage":

The Women of Conjure - Page 103
David O Rice, Jr. - 172 pages - Google eBook - Preview
When Lucas finally took her virginity that night, Sylvia could feel
his hot breath on her flesh, and it seemed as though he was breathing
fire as he ravaged her body again and again. It continued for hours,
and she felt as though she ...

If I Were Your Woman - Page 167
Robin Allen - 2002 - 256 pages - Preview
He could hear his own heartbeat raging in his chest as he ravaged her
lips. His tongue explored the recesses in her mouth, ... His fingers
curled around her head and then he ravaged her mouth with a kiss. It
was a carnal kiss.