very minor note on "lady"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Apr 14 21:38:57 UTC 2011

I recall "young lady!" as a parental expression of displeasure from the '50s
and, unless I'm really out of it, from old movies at least as far back as
the early '30s. (I'd bet GB can take it back to the 19th C. at least.)
Though it exists, the parallel use of "young woman" has always been
much less frequent AFAIK.  ("Young man!" is the male equivalent, never
"young gentleman!")

"Lady" in polite direct address had similar working-class overtones in NYC
in the '50s. "Woman" in that sense sounds quite impossibly weird.

NYC rest rooms in the '50s were customarily adorned with plaques reading
"Ladies" and "Gentlemen" (not "Gents" in my experience).

"The lady at the store" (any adult female) sounds absolutely unremarkable to
me except that, personally, I'd still say "woman."
I've run all these "lady" comments past my wife, whose NYC background is
similar. She's in complete agreement. Her take: "If you were starting a
story about someone you'd seen on the bus, you'd say [in NYC, at least in
the past] either 'The woman on the bus' or 'The lady on the bus.'  But I
don't think anyone here would say 'The woman....'"

JL