"rerun of a bad movie"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Apr 15 17:12:54 UTC 2011

Earlier idioms included "like [the return of] a bad dream" or "nightmare."

Lt. Audie Murphy (with his ghost writer, David McClure) described his
recollections of WWII combat as being "like a horror film run backwards"
(1949).

In my war and literature class (1999-2003) I always had students who
were troubled and bewildered that America's most famous war hero could
think that way.

JL