Who knew?! ;-)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Apr 16 12:20:22 UTC 2011

To a more literal era, Swift's "after your Arse" would have meant only
"behind you; in your wake."

The contributory relationship to the more recent and comprehensive "(one's)
ass" 'one's self' seems obvious in retrospect, but HDAS couldn't find any
likely exx. till 1821.  Owing to publishing taboos, there's no way to
know when it became common. It seems not to appear in Victorian um
literature.  (The 1821 ex., with asterisks, is used by a comically crude
character; the book is unrelated to um.)

I believe that "piece of ass" is a 19th C.  elaboration of the far older
"piece," often used in sexually suggestive contexts.  Cites don't appear
till the 1920s, however.

JL