Quby[X]

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Tue Apr 19 23:16:21 UTC 2011

Doh!  It's the fourth of the footnote symbols -- asterisk, dagger,
double-dagger, section-sign -- and the place is simply Cuba.

An earlier line in the article uses the first three symbols for
footnotes explaining obscure spellings of place-names, but I never
bothered to look at the footnotes to see what those places were.  The
section-sign and explanation of "Quby" are also included among the
footnotes.  (The form in the newspaper is a little different from the
modern section-sign.)

Joel