suck

Jesse Sheidlower jester at PANIX.COM
Thu Apr 21 18:24:07 UTC 2011

On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 01:59:20PM -0400, Ben Zimmer wrote:

> As for Read's _Lexical Epigraphy_, I also don't have it at hand, but
> you can find it cited in OED2 for both transitive and intransitive
> uses of sexual "suck", as well as the phrasal verb "suck off":
>
> suck, v. 1. f. trans. With person or part as obj. coarse slang.
> 1928 in A. W. Read Lexical Evidence from Folk Epigraphy Western N.
> Amer. (1935) 78, I suck cocks for fun.
>
> suck, v. 15. e. intr. To practise fellatio (or cunnilingus). coarse slang.
> 1928 in A. W. Read Lexical Evidence from Folk Epigraphy Western N.
> Amer. (1935) 78 My cock is only 10 ins long so if any one would like
> to suck meet me here 9 pm.
>
> suck, v.  24. suck off. trans. To cause (someone) to experience an
> orgasm by fellatio or cunnilingus. coarse slang.
> 1928 in A. W. Read Lexical Evidence from Folk Epigraphy Western N.
> Amer. (1935) 79 When will you meet me to suck me off?

There are quite a number of additional examples in Read, for what it's
worth. He provides six citations for the transitive use with the penis
as object, two with person as object, one intransitive, five for "suck
off", one for _sucking_ vbl. n., and one for _suck_ n. 'act of
fellatio'. Most are from 1928, a few are from 1932.

Jesse Sheidlower
OED