more "X sucks"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Apr 21 22:37:02 UTC 2011

Since I only encountered "It sucks!" after numerous "(Human male, esp. 'you
[male]') suck/s!" , it seemed to follow that even inanimate "sucks" had
sexual (albeit literally nonsensical) overtones. That's what made it
effective, scathing, and popular.

"You suck!" (aimed by a male at a male in the context of irate insult) was
unquestionably an imputation of homosexuality in 1964.  I never heard
anybody in those days say, with today's blah intonation, "That movie kind of
sucked," or "This sucks. Let's do something else."  I believe it was not
till ca1967-68 that I heard "[It] sucks!"

I can recall seeing those "Dracula Sucks" buttons in store windows around
Times Square  ca '68-'69, and probably "Nixon Sucks" as well.

I didn't hear imperative "Suck off!" in high school.  In fact, I didn't even
hear "Fuck off!" until 1974, though it had been used in Britain for decades.

JL