above the fold/below the fold

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Apr 22 05:49:50 UTC 2011

I don't doubt Pollock's expertise for a moment. But subtle cultural
clues are often difficult to pick up unless "you were there" or are
familiar with direct extension of the culture. I had a grad-school class
with Loren Graham whose expertise on Russian and Soviet science was no
less than Pollocks, but he readily admitted that there were cultural
things that one simply cannot pick up from reading the sources.

     VS-)