backwards "substitute" (again)

David A. Daniel dad at POKERWIZ.COM
Mon Apr 25 21:39:16 UTC 2011

Not sure if these instances are actually reversed substitute, or just
confused use of the preposition. "...substitute them WITH other high-fiber
foods" would be fine, no?
DAD

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of
Arnold Zwicky
Sent: Monday, April 25, 2011 6:00 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: backwards "substitute" (again)

---

On Apr 25, 2011, at 1:12 PM, Charlie Doyle wrote:

> My wife is suffering a bout of diverticulitis, so I did the normal thing:
I consulted WebMD.  Dr. Web, however, seems to be a sadist:  "What about
seeds and nuts? There's no evidence these foods cause diverticulitis flares.
But if you feel they trigger your symptoms, substitute them for other
high-fiber foods."

"reversed substitute", now apparently advancing in the U.S.

arnold