the verbs SUBSTITUTE

Arnold Zwicky zwicky at STANFORD.EDU
Tue Apr 26 23:36:38 UTC 2011

On Apr 26, 2011, at 11:21 AM, Joel Berson quotes:

and asks:

> What context does the person reading the doctor's order or prescription have?

the context of background knowledge and common-sense reasoning.  if you assume "original substitute", the passage makes no sense, so if you're cooperative you have to cast about for other possibilities.

yes, if this is an early experience for you with "reversed substitute", this takes work.  and yes, when you start this work, the sentence is potentially ambiguous, with exactly converse readings.

(innovations frequently lead to potential ambiguities, which can usually be resolved in context -- but not always.  but even effective ambiguities are scarcely a disaster.)

this is with reference to:

Charlie Doyle to ADS-L 4/25/11:

 >My wife is suffering a bout of diverticulitis, so I did the normal thing:  I consulted WebMD.  Dr. Web, however, seems to be a sadist:  "What about seeds and nuts? There's no evidence these foods cause diverticulitis flares. But if you feel they trigger your symptoms, substitute them for other high-fiber foods."<

arnold