"Let's get you that tattoo finished."

Damien Hall D.Hall at KENT.AC.UK
Wed Apr 27 08:59:12 UTC 2011

PLEASE NOTE MY NEW E-MAIL ADDRESS

In BrE that's an entirely standard and common construction - the _you_ as a benefactive dative, perhaps?  (I assume that's what caused Wilson to remark upon it.)

I assume that because I remember an American professor's remarking on my saying (quite innocently) "I'm waiting for her to send me that data".  He maintained that such pre-posed datives were at best uncommon in American English and that he would have had to say "I'm waiting for her to send that data to me".  What do others think?

Damien

--

Damien Hall

University of Kent (UK)
Leverhulme Early Career Fellow, 'Towards a New Linguistic Atlas of France'

English Language and Linguistics, School of European Culture and Languages