dropped 's

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Apr 27 18:21:30 UTC 2011

At 3:13 PM +0000 4/27/11, Tom Zurinskas wrote:
>In the below passage the 's is not pronounced
>three times (she's, mother's, she's).  Where
>that from?
>
>"She my mother sister and I used to call her
>'Auntie [Ejn.ti < [An.ti]Rainey,' (sounded like
>"ANE teeRAINY") but now, since she suing me,
>Ijust call her 'Lorraine'."

If you're asking seriously (or even if you're
not), these are separate phenomena. There's no
general case of "not pronouncing 's".  The first
and third are zero copula, Ø corresponding to
"standard" 's or (less often) 're.  The second is
zero-marked (or word-order marked) possessive (or
genitive).  Both are characteristic of, but not
limited to, AAVE.

LH