killing people and breaking things

David A. Daniel dad at POKERWIZ.COM
Thu Apr 28 20:51:18 UTC 2011

My Navy ROTC instructor said this (about the Navy) in 1967. It was, like,
the first day of class and he had asked "What is the Navy for?" He was
getting all sorts of predictably cute answers like "defend freedom", "defend
the constitution", etc. He finally said, yes, yes, yes, but that's not what
the Navy does. The Navy kills people and breaks things. So, September, 1967.
Unfortunately I no longer have my notes or you could have it in writing. ;)
But it must be in writing somewhere.
DAD

I'm writing an article about the military use of "kinetic", as discussed =
here a few times. A friend who has served in the Army defined it as =
"killing people and breaking things", which I've since learned is a =
common summary of the purpose of an army. The earliest I've found this =