killing people and breaking things

Charles C Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Fri Apr 29 14:39:20 UTC 2011

>From the (forthcoming) _Yale Book of Modern Proverbs_:

Kill them all, and let God sort them out.  1981 _Lewistown [ME] Journal_ 7 Nov.: "Two former members of Delta Force, the hostage rescue team, . . . work for him [Col. Charles Beckwith].  On his desk is a plaque that reads, 'Kill 'em all.  Let God sort  'em out.'"  1983  Stephen King, _Christine_ (New York: Viking) 112-13:  "A sleazy-looking guy in a cracked leather jacket was dorking around with an old BSA bike . . . . The back of his jacket displayed a skull wearing a Green Beret and the charming motto KILL EM ALL AND LET GOD SORT EM OUT" (capitalization as shown).  The proverb is the modern version of a Latin declaration attributed to the leader of the Albigensian Crusade of the early thirteenth century, "Kill them all; God will know his own!" (Russell 1999, 287-307).  Numerous individuals recall the ". . . let God sort them out" version from the battlefields of Vietnam in the 1960s, and as a tattoo and T-shirt slogan in the 1970s.  However, the record in print from those !
 decades is very scarce; there is this allusion from 1978 in Piero Gleijesus, _The Dominican Crisis: The 1965 Constitutionalist Revolt and American Intervention_ (Baltimore: Johns Hopkins UP), 318:  "The principle governing the [Trujillo regime's] repression was to arrest them all and let God sort them out."

--Charlie

From: American Dialect Society [ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] on behalf of Garson O'Toole [adsgarsonotoole at GMAIL.COM]
Sent: Friday, April 29, 2011 10:14 AM

Jonathan Lighter wrote
> More sophisticated searching finds two apparent (but not conclusive) GB
> datings of a desk plaque and a poster, both  saying "Kill 'em all. Let God
> sort 'em out," to 1979-80.

The expression "God sort all" occurs in Merchant of Venice.
Undergraduates visiting the SparkNotes website are offered the gloss
"I hope God figures it all out!"

PORTIA
Let me give light, but let me not be light.
For a light wife doth make a heavy husband,
And never be Bassanio so for me.
But God sort all! You are welcome home, my lord.

PORTIA
I’ll give light to men, but I’ll never be light or unchaste. An
unfaithful wife makes a husband worry, and I’ll never let Bassanio
worry if I can help it. I hope God figures it all out! Welcome home,
my husband.

http://nfs.sparknotes.com/merchant/page_216.html