killing people and breaking things

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Apr 29 14:53:31 UTC 2011

If the modern form was all that common in Vietnam, I personally think that
evidence for its existence would be earlier and stronger.

Had the anti-war movement - which included Vietnam veterans - gotten wind of
such a saying (or worse, a semi-official motto), it would have been
broadcast worldwide.  Yet it does not seem to have appeared anywhere even
after the My Lai revelations in 1969.

On the other hand, I did hear (or read) "Join the Army. Travel to Distant
Lands. Meet Interesting People and Kill Them" in the mid- to late '70s.

JL