(across the) "block" ~= street, and the OED?

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Apr 29 19:17:53 UTC 2011

This expression would have been more likely in a city like Chicago, where
there is an exact correspondence between cross-streets and house numbers.
It's also 800 numbers per mile IIRC, although the numbers on any block
rarely run up to a full hundred. There are also "half-blocks" because some
small streets appear at x50 blocks (usually streets that don't run more than
a couple of blocks themselves--at least, not continuously). In any case, a
reference to "x-hundred block" is both somewhat ambiguous (although context
usually tells you whether it's NS or EW) and over-specifying, as it may
include more than one /actual/ block.

I've been told that parts of NYC also match some specified house numbers to
specific distances (e.g., 600 per mile, or something like that). I don't
know enough about NYC to be sure (or to care).

However, I have heard the  "x-hundred block" expression outside of Chicago
although in other locales it's usually more specific, i.e., "x-hundred block
of y-street". Obviously, if you are trying to give directions for a specific
address, such expressions would be unnecessary, but they may work in context
where the address is not specified, e.g., when a reference is to a specific
store within a known block but whose specific address is unknown. This
expression has been common in Cambridge, MA, although I can't possibly tell
whether it was Harvard or MIT students/faculty or visitors or local
residents who've used it (I've been a student and employee at both over the
past 2 and a half decades). When someone refers to "the 800 block on Mass
Ave", it's pretty clear.

VS-)