Heard on The judges: "Ripping and running"

Sat Apr 30 11:40:42 UTC 2011

Great finds Wilson! Here is [Rippin' and Runnin'] used in the title of
a recording in Billboard magazine in 1952.

Cite: 1952 June 28, Billboard, Rhythm & Blues Record Releases, Page
37, Column 2, Nielsen Business Media, Inc.

Rippin' and Runnin' - Tiny Bradshaw & Ork (Lay It) King 4547
http://books.google.com/books?id=AR4EAAAAMBAJ&q=rippin#v=snippet&

In the prose domain the form [rippin' an' runnin'] probably appears in
the following 1958 novel.

Cite: 1958, Let No Man Write My Epitaph by Willard Motley, GB Page
155, Random House, New York. (Google Books snippet; Not verified on
paper; Data may be inaccurate; Duke catalog concurs with date of
publication)

They're rippin' an' runnin' to try to get some money to satisfy that
Chinaman. That goddamn Chinaman's ridin' them so fast they ain't even
got time to talk to you.
http://books.google.com/books?id=PP1JAAAAMAAJ&q=rippin#search_anchor

Here is a link to the Wikipedia entry for the author, Willard Motley:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willard_Motley

The book was made into a movie in 1960. Here is the IMDB link:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0054021/

Here is a raw match in Google Books with a GB date of 1946. I cannot
generate a snippet showing the excerpt, so I do not know much about
it. The UNC catalog says volume 55 is dated 1946; vol. 56 is 1947;
vol. 57 is 1948. Date probes produce information consistent with the
time period.

Coopers international journal: Volumes 55-57
Coopers International Union of North America - 1946 - Snippet view
No longer should we be set as individual workers after realizing what
it means to be an organized group. Lay offs, lost favors with the
company, are fruits of ripping and running on the job. A fair day's
work is expected and ...
http://books.google.com/books?id=KQh_AAAAMAAJ&

The phrase used with a different meaning in 1909:
1909, Spices and how to know them by Walter M. Gibbs
http://books.google.com/books?id=hsUuAAAAYAAJ&q=ripping#v=snippet&q=ripping&f=false