Heard on The judges: "Ripping and running"

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Apr 30 17:42:57 UTC 2011

Thanks, Jon--trying to learn from you, Garson and everyone else (although I
run only limited searches through a fixed handful of databases and some
hand-picked culinary references from old cookbooks and travel books).

Not sure what happened on that 1929 ref. I had the snippet up on the page
but appear to have forgotten to copy the link. It's not a complicated search
(just run "rip-and-run" before 1950) and the snippet shows nothing anyway.

In any case, I'm going to get to a couple of searches that I've had in the
Draft folder anywhere from two weeks to a year--I still have "gherkin",
"white of their eyes" 1801 ref involving Putnam (antedating all other Putnam
attributions by about 3-5 years) that I never posted and a handful of others
that need attention. I tend to get bogged down in exhaustive searches on
some of the more interesting ones, then get distracted by something new that
could be posted immediately. Or the browser crashes--a much more common
occurrence now that I use Chrome about 75% of the time (Firefox gets slow
with 10 tabs open, Chrome just freezes, and Safari does not preserve tab
history, so it's useless). Whatever the case, some of the more interesting
stuff goes into the Draft folder and never comes out. Gherkin is important
(along with pickle--but we've covered that). I am not promising recovering
any of them right away. I will get to them unless a rock falls on my head.
Just not today.

VS-)