Misinterpretation of name of a Civil War bullet

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Aug 1 19:50:56 UTC 2011

On Aug 1, 2011, at 3:39 PM, Brian Hitchcock wrote:

> "They were effective to a range of about 250 yards and deadly to about 500
> yards."
>

> Maybe I misunderstand, but how would a bullet that was  "deadly" at 500
> yards not be considered "effective" at that range?

If I had some varmints in my back yard and decided to eliminate them by dropping a tactical nuclear device on the critters, wiping them out along with my house, the neighborhood, and half the city, the bomb would certainly be deadly, but would it be effective?  I think an argument could be made either way.

LH