(fairly) new (but unlisted) "benefits"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Aug 3 20:27:43 UTC 2011

In honor of the recently released eponymous movie (cf. http://www.fwb-movie.com/), the "friends with benefits" euphemism appears to be lacking in the OED.  The closest is one of the several April 2010 Draft Additions:

An advantage or perk (such as a pension, company car, life insurance, etc.) provided for an employee by an employer, in addition to wages or salary. Chiefly in pl. Cf. fringe benefit

But we don't want to entice people to see the movie in question expecting that either Justin Timberlake or Mila Kunis is offering the other a company car or life insurance in addition to the wages or salary that normally come with the job.  And god forbid pensions are involved—we know how likely *they* are to be honored anymore.

I believe this euphemism has been in place for awhile and should have at least some staying power, especially now that it can be abbreviated as FWB; I may have first noticed it in one of my undergraduates' New Words journals a number of years back.

LH