The manner in which it was arrived

Randy Alexander strangeguitars at GMAIL.COM
Thu Aug 4 04:03:38 UTC 2011

On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 4:11 AM, Dan Goncharoff <thegonch at gmail.com> wrote:

> Er, no.
>
> A figure can appear in the rain, but rain is not a place, and using
> "where" to refer to the rain  would probably be wrong.
>
> As for using academic writing as proof of correctness, I don't think I
> will make a lot of friends continuing this argument.

Well, you won't catch me trying to "prove correctness" (I'm not sure how you
came under that assumption); I was using the COCA data to show that a
significant number of copy editors didn't find a problem with "context
where", which is evidence that the collocation is being accepted in academic
English.

Whether that's good or not is another matter entirely.

Randy