infected by radiation poisoning

Thu Aug 4 19:14:58 UTC 2011

Below is an excerpt from an article about civil defense in 1962 aimed
at the general public. During a Q & A the author says that one cannot
be infected by radiation. The word "infect" was in use before the germ
theory of disease was propounded and accepted. The multiple senses of
infect have changed over time and have been influenced by scientific
thought, I think.

The example from 1985 below shows that the writer does believe an
individual can be "infected by radiation" in the domain of comic
books.

Cite: 1962 November 22, Bladen Journal, Civil Defense In Bladen by
Captain Ted Fox, Page 4, Column 4, Elizabethtown, North, Carolina.
(Google News Archive)

Q. If I have been infected by radiation, can I give it to my children?
A. No. It is not a disease. It doesn't "infect" anybody. The gamma
rays damage the person through which they pass – no one else.

Cite: 1985 October 4, Milwaukee Sentinel, TV Today: Remake Of 'Long
Hot Summer' Sizzles by Duane Dudek, Part 3, Page 2, GNA Page 25,
Milwaukee, Wisconsin. (Google News Archive)

The X-Men and the Fantastic Four remain vivid, tales of normal folks
infected by radiation and afflicted with super and paranormal powers.