(fairly) new (but unlisted) "benefits"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Aug 5 15:00:56 UTC 2011

On Aug 5, 2011, at 10:37 AM, Joel S. Berson wrote:

> At 8/5/2011 09:49 AM, Laurence Horn wrote:
>> Browsing through the Google Books hits under
>> "friends with benefits" does get rid of most
>> (not all) of the references to the movie, but
>> I'm not sure how to arrange the hits
>> seem to be from the last 5 years, which doesn't
>> help.  Alternatively there's Nexis, but they
>> keep changing the search algorithms and I haven't kept up.
>
> Successively telling GBooks Advanced Search to
> search before xxxx for "[best] friend[s] with
> benefits"

Aha!  Good to know.

I see from googling "friend(s) with benefits" + "Alanis Morissette" that her "Head over Feet" (1995) is variously described as coining, popularizing, or repopularizing the phrase. It was certainly at least a primary vector, although it's interesting that the expression, if not the concept, remained largely dormant—as Joel's data confirms--for another few years after that.

LH