Is "tar baby" in "All in the Family"?

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat Aug 6 03:10:07 UTC 2011

On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 10:32 PM, Neal Whitman <nwhitman at ameritech.net>
quoted Bill Mullins:
> the term did appear in the "Word Association" sketch between Richard Pryor and Chevy Chase on Saturday Night Live from 1975.

I saw the original and I've since seen a bunch of re-runs. That
"tar-baby" was tossed into the mix struck me as incongruous and it
still does.

However, if everybody else is pretty sure that I should be accepting
of "tar-baby" as a derogatory term in the minds of white people and in
the minds of a few black people who have nothing worse in their lives
to b concerned with, well...

BTW, does anyone else remember the the NatLamp parody,

Awl in de Fambly

?

FWIW, when I still lived in Marshall, I didn't use "fambly," but I did
use "chimley" > _chimney_, a word that I knew only from the Santa
Claus story. You don't need a chimley, when you use the Texas
equivalent of the electric space-heater ("Central heating"? Say what,
now?), the natural-gas space-heater, for warmth.

--
-Wilson
-----