Is "tar baby" in "All in the Family"?

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Aug 6 12:44:27 UTC 2011

HDAS cites go much farther back than I recalled.  The earliest:

1888 Gordon & Page _Befo' de War_ 76: An' I ain't gwine ter swallow dat tar
baby's lies.

1918 _Saturday Eve. Post_ (Jan. 19) 17: "Is there anything wrong with my
hearing," says Sam, "or has that tar baby got an English accent?"

1920-21 H. C. Witwer _The Leather Pushers_  19: The Kid rocks the tar baby
with a right to the body.

1945 Drake & Cayton _Black Metropolis_  502: My brothers and sister used to
call me "tar baby." That would hurt me.

Some of these may have gotten into OED online by now.

I didn't note any ex. from Archie Bunker, but that may simply mean that I
didn't need any from that period.

One nuance is obviously, "a very black person," not just a black person.

JL