postmodern approaches [Was: More on substituting]

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Aug 6 23:18:55 UTC 2011

Allow me to play Derrida's Advocate. (God, how I hate this....)

I believe his point is that the events of, leading up to, following, and
comprehensively connected with the September 11 attacks are, when you get
right down to it, of practically infinite diversity and complexity.  In
fact, no two people would or could give you the same summary, because the
topic is, on the one hand,  unknowable in its factual totality and, on the
other, utterly subjective in its meaning (Bush says bad, Bin Laden says
good. Who knows for sure? And why should I believe you if you try to answer
the question?)

Thus, when you refer to the entire _gestalt_, or even part of it, as "Nine-
Eleven" or some other short hand that makes communication possible, you
don't know what you're talking about because you don't know all the details,
and you couldn't make final sense out of them if you did.

So it all boils down to (yawn) just another game (or perhaps "narrative") in
the endless play of signs.

I believe that D would say that *any* reaction or response is pathetically
irrational because none of us has the knowledge or ability to know the
"truth," assuming that there even is a "truth" to be known.

There could be, but maybe not; and if there is, we can't establish it
anyway; and if "we" could - depending on who you mean by "we," kimosabe -
there's really no reason for the non-we "Other" - say at the Bin Laden
Compound or somewhere on Mars in the 39th century - to believe a word we
say. How can they trust "our" judgment?)

So admit your ignorance and, assuming that any action at all can have a
truly rational basis, you can't really can't do any better than buying
more books by Derrida.)

J.-F. Baudrillard observed something similar about what was absurdly called
the "1991 Gulf War."  Something presumably happened, but its totality had
only a minimal resemblance to the reporting and thinking about it. So,
strictly speaking, "the Gulf War (or 'Gulf War' if you're picky) did not
take place."

What took place, if anything, was unknowable.  What's more, anything you
believe about it has been filtered and mediated repeatedly by those in or
with power, along with their lackeys and proxies.  So wise up and don't
believe a word of it.  Buy books by Baudrillard instead.

I believe that similar postmodern solutions may be profitably applied to
issues of national security, defense policy, military strategy, nuclear
proliferation, and the like.

They might work on the crummy economy too.  But whether they do or not may
have more to do with the inevitable consequences of the (alleged) Big Bang
than with anything anybody actually thinks up on their own.

So let the good times roll!

JL