"chairman" gets neutered

Dan Goncharoff thegonch at GMAIL.COM
Sun Aug 7 15:49:58 UTC 2011

Doesn't this confuse the function of "chair" with the title of "chairman"?

The chairman normally chairs the meeting. If someone else chairs the
meeting, they have the chair. They are the Chair. They are even
addressed directly as Mr. Chairman for the purpose of the meeting.
Someone who temporarily becomes Chair at a board meeting, however, is
not said to become Chairman of the Board. They occupy the Chair, they
even assume the dignity of the chair temporarily, but they don't
assume the title of chairman.

DanG