"notorious" goes neutral

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Aug 7 16:27:33 UTC 2011

The OED may have missed the microsemantic boat here.

All cites under 1b since 1865 are in the construction "notorious for."

If I, for example, were to be described simply as "notorious," few people
(even, I'd wager, in the erudite offices of the OED) would assume I was
"notorious for [my] probity" or anything like it, as in the 1927 ex. from
the American journalist and novelist Samuel Hopkins Adams (1871-1958), who
graduated from college in 1891.

_Cyrano de Bergerac_ and Edmond Rostand are not "notorious" in any readily
predictable interpretation of the Chairman's quoted remarks.  Even if I were
to say,

"Edmond Rostand is notorious *for his play*, _Cyrano de Bergerac_,"

without going on to detail (falsely)  what a floperoo it was and how Rostand
wound up in jail in the midst of riots, the statement would call attention
to itself as thoroughly unidiomatic, at least without further negative
clarification.

But, of course, correct idiom is no substitute for faulty content.

JL