nom, nomming, nom nom

Ann Burlingham ann at BURLINGHAMBOOKS.COM
Sun Aug 7 22:03:52 UTC 2011

On Sun, Aug 7, 2011 at 11:00 AM, Ben Zimmer
<bgzimmer at babel.ling.upenn.edu> wrote:

> (Everyone here subscribes to AmSp right? :-)

"Nom" came up when I posted a photo to flickr of people at a National
Organization for Marriage rally. Both I and a young employee of mine
thought the acronym "NOM" was giggle-worthy, given the lolcat
referent. (NOM is an anti-same-sex marriage organization. They use the
phrase "traditional marriage" to denote mixed-sex monogamous marriage,
which I find disingenuous.)