steep learning curve

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Aug 8 01:08:06 UTC 2011

In one of Bones episodes (sorry, not sure which one, but not recent), one
character says to another, "But you got a steep learning curve," implying
that the other character learns quickly. IME the only use of "steep learning
curve" in education circles is nearly the opposite--it's not a "who", but a
"what"--something that is very difficult to learn. In fact, I do not recall
"learning curve" applying to an individual in any education research
literature that I can recall--it's concepts that have learning curves, not
people. If I'm biased on this account, I certainly would like to know that.
(I just checked with another education researcher and got a confirmation.)

VS-)