steep learning curve

Mon Aug 8 01:57:27 UTC 2011

Victor Steinbok  wrote:
> In one of Bones episodes (sorry, not sure which one, but not recent), one
> character says to another, "But you got a steep learning curve," implying
> that the other character learns quickly. IME the only use of "steep learning
> curve" in education circles is nearly the opposite--it's not a "who", but a
> "what"--something that is very difficult to learn. In fact, I do not recall
> "learning curve" applying to an individual in any education research
> literature that I can recall--it's concepts that have learning curves, not
> people. If I'm biased on this account, I certainly would like to know that.
> (I just checked with another education researcher and got a confirmation.)

Here is an example of "learning curve" applied to an individual
instead of a subject by researchers in learning. (I am not completely
sure this cite is dated 1979 because the GB preview blocks the
copyright date page. WorldCat gives a 1979 date and it doesn't look
like a revision.)

Theory and practice of early reading: Volume 3
Lauren B. Resnick, Phyllis A. Weaver,  Page 370
Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Hillsdale, N.J.
(Google Books preview)

Two children might, in other words, start out in the same position,
but one would show a steep learning curve, the other a flat and
extended one. Both children could, with enough patient instruction and
practice, reach "criterion," but we would not be likely to consider
them equally difficult to teach. Similar differences in learning rates
— for children who have virtually ...

http://books.google.com/books?id=1pGp5kapFJAC&q=curve#v=snippet&

Here is another example example of "learning curve" applied to an
individual in an unverified GB snippet.

The Sport psychologist: Volume 19
International Society of Sports Psychology - 2005 - Snippet view

.. that acknowledging what one does not know is important; but be
mindful that a consultant needs a steep learning curve and must be a
quick study. Elite performers are not very impressed with those who
don't improve or learn quickly.

My experiences with the term "steep learning curve" are similar to
Victor's. I have typically heard it used in the following way: Subject
X has a steep learning curve means subject X is difficult to learn
about.

Garson