"As with"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Aug 10 00:21:05 UTC 2011

>...so unless you're completely spooked by "like", there's no reason to
avoid (2).

I can't prove it, but such people may exist. I can remember several freshman
themes (admittedly out of thousands) in which perfectly correct
prepositional _like_ was replaced with awkward-sounding and uncalled-for
_as_.

That was twenty and more years ago, which only means that the practice,
limited though it may be, has had plenty of time to spread.  My guess is
that it is more likely to be spreading than retreating.

I'm not saying that people who write "as with" are necessarily "spooked by
'like.'"  Merely that the phrase may gained ground through the agency of
people who are.

Assuming they exist.

JL