Follow-up on sluff - play hooky, slack off (UNCLASSIFIED)

Dave Hause dwhause at JOBE.NET
Wed Aug 10 01:07:43 UTC 2011

It's on p.8 in my paperback "fifth printing" (no date specified) which
claims Sept., 65, as the first printing.
Dave Hause, dwhause at jobe.net
Waynesville, MO
----- Original Message -----
From: "Mullins, Bill AMRDEC" <Bill.Mullins at US.ARMY.MIL>
To: <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Sent: Tuesday, August 09, 2011 2:30 PM
Subject: Re: Follow-up on sluff - play hooky, slack off (UNCLASSIFIED)

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

OED has sluff (v) in a card-playing sense back to 1959.

Wilson, I'd have thought you would have read this:

Robert A. Heinlein, _Farnham's Freehold_ p. 5
"She admired the way he squeezed out the last trick, of a contract in which
she had forced them too high, by having the boldness to sluff an ace."
This from the Baen Books 2001 edition, but I'm sure that the quote can be
found in the original 1964 edition.