hot dog article in NY Times

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at MST.EDU
Wed Aug 10 14:56:38 UTC 2011

For "hot dog" afficionados:
Barry Popik has drawn my attention to a recent NY Times article on the New York hot dog:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/10/dining/the-hot-dog-redefined-one-cart-at-a-time.html

The article does not treat the origin of the term "hot dog." But a picture accompanying the article in the above link caught my attention.  It shows a hot dog vendor, "ca. 1910," but the sign on his cart doesn't say "Hot Dogs";
it says "Hot Frankfurters."

The term "hot dog" had not yet become a generally accepted term (still a bit akin in its semantic nuance to "roadkill"), and vendors wishing to entice passers-by to purchase their comestible no doubt felt they would have better luck by having their signs proclaim "Hot Frankfurters."

G. Cohen